Located on a small spur, Orpí Castle was built in the 10th century on the boundary line between the Catalan counties and Al-Andalus.
Of the original site (which must have occupied the entire spur) we can still see the hexagonal main tower in the upper enclosure and the church of Sant Miquel in the lower enclosure. Today, a set of buildings are attached to the tower in which restaurant and catering services are provided. The church, of Romanesque origin, was altered in subsequent renovations.
The castle formed part of the county of Barcelona and was controlled by the Claramunt family from the 12th century. In the early 14th century, the Claramunt family lost all its rights and the castle fell into the hands of the Cardona family, which appointed the Orpí family as its castellans. From the 15th century the castle was occupied by several different castellans (Sallent, Ortal and Serrals families) before being inherited by the Padró family.
One of the most important historical events involving the castle occurred in 1714 during the War of the Spanish Succession, when it sheltered the Catalan troops commanded by the Marquis of Poal and was bombarded by the Bourbon troops.
Self-guided external tour. Privately owned castle.
Pre-booked tour, restaurant and rural accommodation. Telephone: 93 808 00 21.