Manresana Castle or Tower
The place known as Prats de Segarra was conquered by the Counts of Osona-Manresa at the end of the 9th century. There are records of the existence of the “Manresana Tower” dating back to the turn of the 11th century, by which time the area was under the jurisdiction of the Bishopric of Vic, occupying the site of the present-day hamlet of Manresana on a small hill overlooking most of the Calaf high plateau.
The most notable feature of the site is the round tower, built at the turn of the 12th century. The remaining rooms were added soon after, including one whose original vaulted roof has been preserved. Although the layout of the castle enclosure is unknown, it probably included the nearby Romanesque church of Sant Andreu.
The castle passed into the hands of the Balsareny family in the 11th century. From the 12th century it seems that the castle fell directly under the control of the Counts of Barcelona, with different Catalan noblemen serving as its castellans, such as the Galceran de Pinós or Galceran de Calders families.
Over the course of its history, Manresana Castle has witnessed several conflicts, such as the Catalan Civil War. Most notably, it played a key role in the Battle of Prats de Rei (1711), when Commander Guido von Starhemberg directed the Austrian troops from the tower in his victory over the Bourbons.
To arrange a tour, please call: 93 869 84 62 or 93 868 03 66