Plaça de l’Ajuntament, Igualada
Although arcades once stretched all the way around the Plaça de l’Ajuntament in Igualada, only one arcaded area remains today, on its north-west side.
The vaults that formed a chamfer with Travessia de Sant Sebastià were demolished in 1912, while those that overlooked Carrer de Santa Maria were pulled down in 1932.
The square is at the centre of life in Igualada and is overlooked by the Town Hall.
It’s listed in the Inventory of Architectural Heritage of Catalonia.
The area occupied by the square has been modified on several occasions over the centuries and is the result of the unification of two smaller squares: Plaça Nova (mentioned as far back as 1337) and Plaça del Blat (dating back to at least 1356).
The new square, which from that moment was known in its entirety as Plaça del Blat, had an irregular T-shaped structure which was maintained until 1910.
For centuries the local market was held there. In 1910 the final city block that remained there was demolished. In its place a modernist building known as the “Pajarera” was erected to be used as a covered market.
It was demolished in 1963 and a fountain was built there in its place. The fountain was removed in 1987 and the central area of the square was recovered.