The castle was built at the end of the 10th century at the top of the Guàrdia mountain, on the side of which the town of Jorba grew. This was an excellent location for controlling the Òdena basin (and the paths leading to it) after it had been conquered by the county of Osona-Manresa.
Today it is difficult to define the floor plan of the site due to the fact that many of its structures have been demolished and since built upon. Nevertheless, a rather large circular tower has been preserved (thought to be the original structure), to which structures with a quadrangular floor plan have been attached. There is also a second circular tower with a smaller diameter, which may have been added at a later date, possibly during the period of the Carlist Wars.
Under the dominion of the county of Barcelona, the castle was entrusted to the Jorba family, who served as its castellans. The most important member of the family was Guerau de Jorba, who was ennobled with the title of Baron of Jorba in the 12th century, mainly thanks to his influence on the Catalan politics of the time, as trusted adviser to the Count of Barcelona, Ramon Berenguer IV. He personally took part in the conquests of Lleida, Tortosa and Tarragona. In the first half of the 14th century, the Castellolí family became its castellans, marking the start of a period during which the castle changed hands on several occasions.
The most important historical events involving the castle include its taking by Royalists in 1475 during the Catalan Civil War and its blowing up in 1835 by Carlists during the First Carlist War.
The first known senyera (Catalan flag) in Catalonia.
For guided tours, please call 93 809 40 00 (Town Hall).