This castle dates back to at least the turn of the 12th century. Although it is situated on a gentle hill, few castles in the county are located at such a high altitude. As such, it enjoys a commanding view of the surrounding area, from the county of Segarra to the Calaf high plateau.
An imposing walled section has been preserved in the castle’s lower enclosure, built with large ashlars. In the upper enclosure a large quadrangular building can be seen with cylindrical towers on the corners of the west side. A room with a flattened barrel-vaulted roof is visible inside this space.
The lords of the castle were the Cardona family, at least from the 13th century. The Calders family lived there as castellans from the 13th to the 18th century. It then passed successively into the hands of the Copons, Grimau and Vilallonga families.
In 1616, Francisco Fernández de la Cueva, viceroy of Catalonia, arrived in the area with an army in order to combat banditry. He ordered the destruction of Segur Castle, arguing that it had become a hideout for bandits.